‘We’, ‘us’, ‘our’ means The Royal Bank of Scotland plc.
‘You’, ‘your’ means:
- in the case of a limited company, any Director, Official and any other persons authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a partnership, the individual partners (in their separate capacities of partners and individuals) and any other persons authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a limited liability partnership, any member and any other person authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a sole trader or professional practitioner, the customer who has an account(s) and any other person authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s);
‘Security Details’ means the identifying words, codes and numbers agreed between you and us that are used in the security procedure.
‘Service’ means Cards OnLine when accessed using the Internet.
- You must keep your security details secret.
- You must take all reasonable precautions to prevent the fraudulent use of your security details.
- You should not record your security details in any way which may result in them becoming know to another person.
- If you suspect someone knows your security details you must contact us immediately. If you fail to do so, you will be liable for any unauthorised transactions on your account confirmed by use of the security details.
- You will be responsible for all instructions received by us between the time you pass the security procedure until you exit from the Service. Please note that this includes any input errors or instructions sent by someone other than yourself so please do not leave the device you are using to access the Service unattended while you are still logged onto our website.
- Calls may be recorded.
- We reserve the right to charge you and you agree to pay the charges for the Service or any part of it. Details of new charges and changes to charges will be notified to you in writing, or by a text message or E-Mail, at least one month before they take effect and will also be available on the Royal Bank of Scotland website.
Availability of the Service
- While we will make reasonable efforts to provide the Service, we will not be liable for any failure to provide the Service, in part or full, for any cause that is beyond our reasonable control. This includes, in particular, any suspension of the Service resulting from maintenance and upgrades to your systems or those of any party used to provide the Service.
Variation/Termination of the Service
- We reserve the right to change the Service from time to time and shall give you notice of any material changes.
- We may, where we consider it appropriate for your or our protection, suspend, withdraw or restrict the use of the Service or any part of the Service. We will tell you as soon as practicable if we take such action. We may also end the Service or any part of the Service at any time by giving you reasonable notice.
- You may terminate this agreement by notifying us. The notification will not be effective until we receive it.
- You will cease to receive paper statements but will be provided with an E-Statement.
- We will E-Mail you monthly to advise that your E-Statement is available for viewing. Where there has been no activity on your account and there is zero balance, an E-Statement will not be provided.
- You are responsible for ensuring that the E-Mail address that you provide to us is kept up to date.
- We will advise you of any changes to terms and conditions for the use of your card via Cards OnLine. The amended card terms and conditions will be available for viewing via a link from the Service.
- You are responsible for ensuring any payments due are made by the due dates as advised to you.
- The E-Statement of account will constitute a proper demand for payment to us.
- Payment via the Service will not be available and payment should be made through Direct Debit or from your account using electronic banking.
- If you are an administrator and require to make changes to your own account, you will be required to switch to the cardholder view to undertake this activity.
By agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions, you are consenting to us collecting and storing certain personal data about you. This data will be used to provide the service applied for and may be stored by Royal Bank of Scotland Plc to keep you informed of products and services which may be of interest to you. This data will not be used other than in the normal course of our business. If you do not wish to receive such information, all you need to do is write to let us know. If you wish to receive details of personal data held about you by us, you may write to request this - there is a fee for this service.
Using and sharing Your Information
- Your account is with Royal Bank of Scotland Plc who is the data controller.
- Where we refer to ‘Group’ in this clause we are referring to The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc group of companies.
- Your information may be held on a Group database and used by us and any Group company for the purposes set out in this clause. Your information includes any information which we or any Group company holds, now or at any time in the future and which comes from, or relates to: -
- application forms or other dealings with any Group company;
- third parties, such as credit reference agencies and parties associated with you;
- your products and services from any Group company; and
- your transactions, including the name of the supplier and the general nature of the goods and services you pay for from your account, using a card or other non-cash method.
- We and other Group companies will use, analyse and assess your information to maintain and develop our relationships with you. This will include the following purposes:
- considering any applications made by you and helping us make credit-related decisions about you;
- operating and administering the services we and/or they supply;
- servicing your relationships with Group companies;
- financial risk assessment, money laundering checks, compliance and regulatory reporting and fraud prevention;
- helping us and our insurance underwriters to make decisions on insurance proposals and claims such as motor, household, credit and life, for you, members of your household and others connected with your insurance proposals and claims;
- helping us and them to identify products and services which may interest you (unless you have asked us not to); and
- helping us and them to understand and develop our and their business, including new and innovative products and services.
- For operational reasons such as in a), b), c), d) and e) in sub clause (iv) above, we may link your information between your accounts and other products and services you maintain with us, and also your information with information about others with whom you have a financial link. We will not use the links for marketing purposes without your consent.
- As our business and our relationship with you develop, the way in which we look at, record and use your information may change. In most cases these changes will result from enhancements in technology and, we believe, will be in line with your expectations. Where we believe the changes may not be obvious to you, we will give you notice of them. When you sign an application form for a product or service, you are agreeing that by continuing to maintain your account, product or service for at least  days after we have notified you of a change, you will be consenting to that change (unless you write to us to tell us that you do not wish us to use your information in the new way).
- We do not disclose your information outside the Group except:
- for operational reasons described in a), b), c), d) and e) in sub-clause (ii) above;
- where we have your consent;
- where we are required or permitted to do so by law;
- [to persons to whom we may transfer rights and obligations under this Agreement];
- to any persons, including insurers, who provide a service to us, who have agreed to keep your information strictly confidential;
- to any persons, including insurers and lenders, who supply benefits or services to you under or in connection with this Agreement; or
- to credit reference and fraud prevention agencies as set out below.
- In order to provide the services you have requested or may request from time to time, it may be necessary for your information to be transferred to someone who provides a service to us in other countries. If we do this we will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as if we were dealing with it.
- You have the right of access to your personal records held on our files by written request to [your branch] and on payment of a fee.
Credit reference and fraud prevention agencies
- An “association” between the joint applicants and/or any individual identified as your financial partner, will be created at credit reference agencies, which will link your financial records. You and anyone else with whom you have a financial link understand that each other's information will be taken into account in all future applications by either or both of you. This linking will continue until one of you successfully files a “disassociation” at the credit reference agencies.
- We may make periodic searches of Group records, credit reference and fraud prevention agencies to manage your account with us, to take decisions regarding credit, including whether to make credit available or to continue or extend existing credit. The searches will not be seen or used by lenders to assess your ability to obtain credit.
- Where you borrow or may borrow from us, we may give details of your account and how you manage it to credit reference agencies. If you borrow and do not repay in full and on time, we may tell credit reference agencies who will record the outstanding debt.
- You have the right of access to your personal records held by credit reference and fraud prevention agencies. We will supply their names and addresses upon request to, Royal Bank of Scotland, PO Box 6050, Southend-on-Sea, SS99 1WL.